If you have difficulty falling asleep, then herbal sleep aids may be the answer to your problems. After all, these natural sleeping remedies can help you fall asleep quickly and won’t cause depence like most sleeping pills do. There are herbal sleep aids that will help you to get to sleep and there are herbal sleep aids that can save you from waking up in the wee hours of the morning.
Six commonly used herbal sleep aids
Listed below are some common herbal sleep aids that are considered as the best natural sleeping remedies. You can find these sleep aids both in prescription form and online.
A few good ones you can find online are for example:
Triple Complex Sleep Tonic
1. Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) – this is a widely accepted and well-known herbal remedy to induce relaxation and sleep. SerenityPlus is one of the more effective products using this herb, you can find this product here.
This herb is very effective in the treatment of insomnia and it doesn’t cause dependence. Valerian should not be used for more than 3 months, as it may cause side effects such as indigestion, palpitation and headaches.
2. Hops (Humulus lupulus) – this herbal sleep aid is a traditional ingredient for beer. Hops has a calming effect that relieves nervousness and pain and promotes a higher mood level. The effects are comparable to other herbal sleeping aids and it can be used in tincture form or as an herbal tea.
2. Chamomile (Matricaria recutica) – this herbal remedy has been used for centuries and is probably the most used and safest sleeping aid in the world, for both adults and children. Chamomile is often brewed as tea. Aside from helping you sleep, this herbal sleeping aid also promotes digestion and has such a mild effect that it doesn’t cause any dependency.
3. California poppy (Eschscholzia californica) – this herb is a popular supplement for promoting regular sleep. However, California poppy not only promotes sleep but it is used as effective anti-anxiety medication as well. It also helps people who are depressed and listless. This herb is prescribed to both adults and children to treat insomnia.
4. Passion flower (Passiflora incarnata) – this herbal remedy has always been used for its sedative and calming effect. Passion flower is a common ingredient in most sleeping aids to help induce sleep… without causing dependence.
The effectiveness of Passion flower comes from its harmine content, an ingredient of this natural sleeping remedy that can inhibit serotonin breakdown and ultimately induces relaxation and sleep. Passion flower is available in capsule from, in tinctures and tea.
6. Kava kava (Piper methysticum) – this is another herbal cure for insomnia, that helps initiate sleep by inducing a calm and relaxing feeling. This herb is often prescribed for patients with insomnia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Although kava kava is considered an effective herbal sleep aid, long term use may result in liver problems.
Using herbal sleep aids with other medication
If you would like to use herbal sleep aids for your sleeplessness, it is best to ask your doctor before you do. Never use over the counter medications unless prescribed by your doctor. If you are currently taking any medications, it is best to ask for any adverse reaction of herbs before using them as supplements. If you wish to use herbal sleep aids, do your own research online to know adequate dosage and any adverse effects when combined with other drugs.