We all know that a good night’s sleep is vital to our health, so who doesn’t want to know how to get better sleep? It’s been proven that people who don’t get enough sleep have problems functioning in their every day life, we need a good night’s sleep to function both physically and mentally. Our brains simply need sleeping time to process the events of the day.
Some of our functions and feelings interfere with a good night’s sleep. Vertigo when getting up, being light-headed, being irritable or cranky are just a few examples. Sleeplessness can also cause blackheads, pimples and other skin problems. It can make you feel cold, cause anxiety, nervous breakdown, or even hallucinations. This is why it’s very important that you know how to get better sleep and have a healthy sleep-wake rhythm.
Tips on how to get better sleep
Here are some tips that may help you in getting better sleep.
- Have a fixed routine when you’re going to bed. Lock the doors, close the windows, pull the blinds down, give your dog a bedtime snack, go to the bathroom, brush your teeth, etc. If you stick to the same routine every day, this is a signal for your body. It automatically recognizes the sequence of activities, and winds down already while you’re still in the process of going to bed.
- As mentioned before, for better sleep it’s important to establish a schedule. Stick to fixed times for going to bed and waking up each day. Try to maintain this schedule on weekends as well, this will save you from the infamous sunday-monday sleeping problems.
- Do some light activities to make you feel sleepy. Watch TV, read a book or a magazine, fold the laundry, clean the bathroom or whatever it may be. Do not do these things in bed, but only go to bed when you’re ready to sleep. Your brain should associate your bed only with sleeping, and no other activities.
- If you want to know how to get better sleep, this also means that you should adhere to the old wisdom of avoiding alcohol and caffeine before bedtime. Caffeine tends to keep you awake, and alcohol reduces the qualty of your sleep (in terms of sleeping stages: you’ll have more light sleep and less deep sleep).
- Only go to bed when you’re really tired, even if this mean that you break your daily sleeping schedule (you might need to adjust the schedule). Otherwise, you probably end up staring at the ceiling.
- If you can’t fall asleep in twenty-thirty minutes, get up again! On average, people fall asleep after eight minutes. So if it takes too long, this means that you’re not ready for sleep. Just get up and do some light activities, but do try to stay in a dark or at least dimmed surrounding.
- Make sure that you have adequate ventilation in your bedroom, and clean bedsheets without crumbs or any other annoyances.
- For more tips on how to fall asleep instantly and how to get a better sleep, just browse around on our website. We have plenty of tips.
Everyone can learn how to get better sleep
There are many ways to get better sleep, but not every method works for every person. You can also use sleeping pills, but that’s not recommended because most sleeping pills have side effects and are very addictive. Luckily, there are also alternative ways to get better sleep, from yoga to acupuncture. Or you could talk to a psychologist or hypnotherapist. Just make sure that you do something, do not let your sleeping problems affect your life. If you want to know how to get better sleep, you have to address the problem and start working on it.
How to sleep better
Trouble falling asleep
Best way to fall asleep